Light Bulb RI Energy Moments and Other Savings
Light Bulb Energy Moments and Other Savings for RI real estate homeowners is a must nowadays. We are past the half way mark to winter’s end. Hooray is all I can say! Yet, there is still time to develop strategies to save money on
You can find out where you can save the most energy savings money. Additionally, perhaps make an investment in a product that will return long term energy savings. All this analyzed for you free by your local electric company. So call today for an appointment!
Here are some noteworthy energy tips:
- Open curtains on south facing windows and skylights during the day. Let the sunlight warm the room. At night ensure you close these curtains to keep in home heat.
- Drafty windows necessitate buying the heavy duty plastic kits and adhering it to the inside of the window during the winter months. Also, insulating window shades/drapes will help too. Are new windows in your next years budget?
- Use a programmable thermostat and save around 10% a year on heating and cooling costs by turning down the settings by time. At night, turn your thermostat down 10 degrees and have it turn the heat on to a morning comfort setting just before wake up time. When you go out for more than 2 hours turn your thermostat down. It takes less energy to warm up a cool house than to maintain a warm temperature though out the day.
- Seal air leaks around pipe gaps, recessed lights and unfinished spaces behind cupboards or closets.
- Did you get your heating system serviced this winter? If you have an oil furnace do you change the furnace filter once a month? A must do for heating system efficiency.
- Fireplaces are the biggest areas of heat loss. Keep the damper closed unless a fire is burning. If you never use your fireplace, seal the chimney flue tightly.
- Lower your hot water costs. Heating water can account for 20% of the energy consumed in your home. Turn down the water heater’s temperature to 120 degrees. That temperature is hot enough and will save you energy costs. Use cold water when you wash your clothes too.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. These bulbs last ten times longer and can cut electricity costs by up to 75%. During holiday seasons invest in LED lights which are so energy efficient.
- If you did not insulate your attic it can be a Saturday job. It is well worth the investment in fiberglass batting to reduce your heat loss.
- Insulate your hot water pipes in the basement with foam covers that run about a $1.25 per 6 foot length at your local hardware store, Home Depot or Lowe’s. They are well worth the minimal cost to buy them.
So using energy efficiently pays off for you as a Rhode Island real estate homeowner or renter.
You are the one most likely to lower your own heating and energy costs. So do it today or at least start it this weekend. Have tips you would like to share? Please leave them in the comments section below. Light Bulb RI Energy Moments and Other Savings.